Early Look at 2011 Movies
When I first noticed this article about the 20 most anticipated sci-fi movies of 2011 on SyFy, I thought '..already? Isn't this a bit early to be thinking about 2011, when the best movies of 2010 haven't even come out yet?'
But, after I started thinking about it in more detail, it's not that bad of an idea to check out the offerings that will be coming our way. Heck, I've been pining for "The Avengers" for years now!
So, without further ado, here is the (much-abridged) list:
- Super 8 (by JJ Abrams/Steven Spielberg, and we don't exactly know what it's about yet)
- Green Lantern (Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan)
- Thor (our favorite god of Thunder)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (the key film in the Marvel universe, if you ask me)
- Cowboys & Aliens (adaptation of the excellent graphic novel)
- Battle: Los Angeles (LA gets invaded by aliens)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II (the last Harry!)
- The Thing (Prequel to the 1982 horror classic)
- Real Steel (Remake of a Twilight Zone episode about lifelike robot boxing)
- Sucker Punch (Zack Snyder, with a strange, yet interesting plot about an abused girl)
- Rise of the Apes (scientists create the first intelligent, talking ape)
- X-Men: First Class (X-Men reboot/prequel)
- Contagion (many, many stars battle a disease outbreak)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I (Part 1 of Part 4 of Twilight)
- Transformers 3 (without Megan Fox)
- The Green Hornet (remake, with Seth Rogen)
- I Am Number Four (Nine alien teens hide out on Earth)
- The Night Chronicles: Devil (plot - trapped in an elevator with the Devil?)
- Immortals (about greek hero Theseus, with Mickey Rourke)
- Red Riding Hood (classic tale, with Amanda Seyfried)
That's quite an extensive list. And, unfortunately, I can't say that I actually 'anticipate' many of these films.
Let's start at the top. "Super 8" will be incredibly hyped, but I don't quite get it yet. Sure, I've seen the trailer - and it is cool and intriguing. But, I think I've seen enough 'monsters break out of a government compound and cause havoc films', so there better be more to it that just a simple sci-fi monster.
In fact, there are couple of sleeper movies listed that I would absolutely see before I shelled out the cash to see "Super 8". I really think "Sucker Punch" sounds original and I am a Zack Snyder fanboy. "Cowboys & Aliens" has great source material to work from and a seriously good cast. I am more eagerly anticipating both of these films more than "Super 8".
However, my most anticipated film on this list is easily "Captain America: The First Avenger". I love Cap and have been itching to see his story for a long time. But, the fact that they *have* to get this one right in order to have an effective "Avengers" movie has had me following this film extremely closely. The same goes for "Thor", but I don't think to this degree, since Cap (IMO) is the key to the Avengers. I am not totally sold on Chris Evans as a leader (yet), but I think it might work. If it doesn't, my most anticipated list of 2012 will drop "The Avengers" out of the top spot.