Lost Blog: On etiquette, goodness and general niceness

Well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this, but ...

In recent weeks there's been an unfortunate uptick in negativity around these parts. I'm not sure where that comes from. Maybe it's because the end is nigh? Perhaps it's due to expectations being high (and the threat that they might not be met)? I'm not sure.

Truth is, I don't care.

We're in the home stretch. These are the last few weeks we'll ever have to revel in the anticipation, the fun and the excitement of new "Lost" episodes. This is not the time for snide comments. Back in season three, when many of us were disheartened at the general direction of the series, I understood the frustration and some of the associated comments. But not now. Seriously. Please. Not now.

So I'm asking you, if you've ever enjoyed the conversations in this blog or my reviews or you're just a die-hard "Lost" fan, don't spoil the last few weeks. Let's enjoy this. Let's celebrate all we've had here. Like it or not, things will change once the show is gone. I've experienced this before. It's just the nature of community. So we have a unique opportunity to ride this out in high style, and I say we go for it. Embrace it.

I certainly hope you know I'm forever in your debt for allowing this place to become something very special to me. Let's keep it going for just a little while longer. Let's see it through. That's all I ask.

Put another way: Don't be a Ben. Be a Hurley.

If you've got questions or concerns, feel free to post them below or email me directly (mac@filmfodder.com).

Thanks!

-- mac

Amen.

#1. Posted by: Cecil Rose at April 16, 2010 12:10 PM

I'm with you Mac!

#2. Posted by: undauntid at April 16, 2010 12:16 PM

You said it, bruthah! Let's enjoy it while we can!

#3. Posted by: glostover at April 16, 2010 12:19 PM

all sorts of emotions are being drummed up from the show finally ending. people having their theories blown up or confirmed seemed to be causing discontent. The end is near and cheers to a new beginning.

#4. Posted by: ALEX ANGEL at April 16, 2010 12:24 PM

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that just about everything I have speculated on will be wrong in the end but that's okay, since I plan on using the Numbers on a lottery ticket on May 23rd. That's being a Hurley.

#5. Posted by: welh at April 16, 2010 12:36 PM

So let it be written. So let it be done.

But for the record, I'm very disappointed. I was planning to lay into san because he never uses the Shift key. Now I have to just let it go. Sigh.

#6. Posted by: Clementine at April 16, 2010 12:36 PM

Thank you, Mac...I agree. Disagreements are inevitable, but disagreements can be expressed in a civil manner.

I also think that MYOB is something that should be reinforced...as in if it's not about a LOST-related opinion & it doesn't concern one personally, not adding fuel to the fire is not only appropriate but helps end disagreements quickly. Just MHO, of course. ; )

I had noticed that the rules about posting that used to show up at the bottom of a thread aren't there anymore...maybe they should be returned? The ones about reading all of the posts before commenting, not posting under multiple names, etc.?

#7. Posted by: Alaïs_Longthought at April 16, 2010 12:55 PM

Excellent point re: the rules. I just added those back. Thanks for the suggestion!

#8. Posted by: mac at April 16, 2010 1:32 PM

Thankyou Mac,

This is the first year I've posted (sorry) but have been reading from the beginning. I noticed a real shift lately. Wouldn't it be something if we all (everybody) are wrong? I for one am just enjoying the journey, I've lowered my expectations a bit but honestly this is still the best TV show ever.

#9. Posted by: lostncyberspace at April 16, 2010 1:43 PM

It's not only the best TV show ever, this is the best blog ever - thanks to you, Mac, and all the great posters that you have attracted. It's been a lovely cruise.

#10. Posted by: lovelost at April 16, 2010 4:21 PM

Absolutely! It is NOT about who is right and who is wrong. Who cares about "bragging rights" and all that mess? Let's all just play nice and enjoy the last hours (gulp) of OUR SHOW.

#11. Posted by: GatorGal at April 16, 2010 5:37 PM

AMEN! You are the bomb Mac. That, by the way, is a reference to your general awesome-ness, not Jughead ;-)

#12. Posted by: lost2theworld at April 16, 2010 5:49 PM

I think things can be misunderstood because of the lack of the obvious facial expressions or body language.

I know that's why the good Lord invented emoticoms, but sometimes, i forget to add the ; ) or : D , etc. and I wonder afterward if someone took what I said the wrong way... I tend to joke around alot and I can think of several times that I joked about something, and someone seemed to answer as if I had insulted them, If so, for that, I'm really sorry.

In real life, it's nearly impossible to hide how you feel in a group, due to those facial expressions and body language, but we have the luxury of thinking someone is an idiot and NOT saying it aloud... or not reading an insult, or just plain skipping the person's post. Whatever.

I have always been proud that I "belong" to this group because of the courtesy and joking around. I felt it was our own island and we were doing our best to get along and survive. The ones that contribute a lot, I felt like I knew and felt like they were family, the ones that only once in awhile said something, were friends, and the ones that I knew were reading and not posting, I knew were just the quiet ones in the group, but were still part of "US".

I grew to have affection for personalities, faces I had seen in the map, putting faces to those I didn't see in the map, imagining what those who lived far away did, laughing when someone i had always thought was male who mentioned "her husband", people that flirted I discovered were actually in love.... it's all part of Mac's group.

I go back and read posts from past years just like i would re-read letters. People come and go, but in our world today, friendships from online groups feel, if not actually ARE, friendships in our hearts. i want to keep feeling that!

YIKES! sorry so long....

#13. Posted by: sandivon at April 16, 2010 5:58 PM

Well said. While not a frequent contributor, I've enjoyed this community for several years. So many intelligent and thought provoking posts and discussions...rare if you check out other blogs. And some of the best humor around by regulars and newbies alike!

Keep up the great work Mac!

#14. Posted by: giggity at April 16, 2010 6:24 PM

MIF!!

#15. Posted by: MIF at April 16, 2010 6:49 PM

I agree. I am hopeful and have not complained nor will I. I rarely contribute because most people already said what I wanted to by the time I got around to reading the blog. However, if they pull an "Alias" on me I will not buy season 6....just like I never bought season 5 of "Alias"...so disappointing....lol. Don't give me lame answers in the last 15 minutes of an entire show. Even "Charmed" ended better than "Alias"....ok...I'll stop now. Thanks Mac!

#16. Posted by: So_Lost at April 16, 2010 8:43 PM

Mac,

Au contraire, we are forever in *your* debt for bringing us together and enriching our experience of Lost. I raise a glass of MACutcheon's to you!

#17. Posted by: Scooby-Dude at April 16, 2010 9:38 PM

me too

#18. Posted by: LockeBox at April 16, 2010 10:12 PM

I have all to few times said GRAA(Great Review As Always, once in a while acronyms should be defined). Mac, still the best review on the web!

Many of the comments above state my sentiments better than I am capable of expressing.

I would like to see our self exiled regulars come back. And less repeats(i.e. please read before posting), they make the blog too long to read.

Namaste

#19. Posted by: mtncbn at April 16, 2010 11:41 PM

I want to take a minute and thank everyone that has contributed to this blog.

Being around since the beginning of the second season has allowed me to follow the lives of some of the bloggers. I've learned to identify the writing style of many before I even reached the end to see their name.

Anyway, my own life fell apart two years ago when my Dad came down with Leukemia. I was spending on average 20 days a month at a major inner city hospital and it was no picnic. After long stress filled days my one joy was coming home to watch Lost and then reading Mac's blog. Not able to devote the time to researching or playing with my many post-it notes on the various characters, I relied heavily on this blog for information. The quips and humorous comments relaxed me and took me away from my 'real' world.

My point is, I think if everyone thinks back to a time when life was not so much fun, finding a blog like this one is a true blessing. A place to forget the problems of the day, to share a smile, to create a memory.

To quote Locke "it's my destiny." I believe, at this time in life, it was Mac's destiny to create this space for me to escape to. Years ago I looked over other boards and just the character of the people chased me away. I've always found this group to be above the norm. I've found a home here. People seem to accept me and my silly thoughts and ideas. Sometimes I feel slighted, sometimes I feel ignored. But that's OK. That happens in real life too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is let's just remember that we can't all have good days all the time. But most important is that it's a place to come to for relaxation and humor and a really good thought provoking opportunity.

I am sorry to see Lost go. It has become a very important part of my life. I will certainly look back on these years of Lost with much fondness. It reminds me of the first time I saw Star Wars or Back to the Future. They were just unforgettable movies for me.

How did Mac's destiny impact your life? Think about it and try to remember it with joy.

Mac I can't thank you enough for the time and energy you've spent and the time that your family has given up with you to make my world a happier place. I wish your family much happiness and joy in the days to come.

Many blessing to all,
Phyllis

#20. Posted by: pebspostal at April 17, 2010 12:36 AM

Mac,

I've been reading this blog since the beginning, and started commenting years ago. Your reviews have never failed to bring a smile, if not actual laughter, and for that, I thank you. Despite a few recent tensions, this has been THE greatest blog over the years, and I know I will dearly miss it once the show is over. You rock brutha.

Thanks for years of enjoyment,
Mark Dufresne (The Duf all these years)
Fitchburg, MA

#21. Posted by: The Duf at April 17, 2010 2:08 AM

Long time lurker (late season 1), occasional poster - thanks for everything Mac. The end of Lost will be rough, but not near as traumatic as when I found out Mac was a dude.....cue Crying Game music, a mouth full of gum and laying on the shower floor.

#22. Posted by: Diggler at April 17, 2010 9:39 AM

This blog is awesome. I read it before I watch the episodes, so I know what to expect and what to look for while watching. I look forward to Mac's reviews as much as the show itself. I don't read any other blogs and I've only contributed a couple of times this season. Everyone here is great and smart, and I think Mac is a truly gifted storyteller. I will miss y'all!

#23. Posted by: DHall at April 17, 2010 11:01 AM

Hello there, Mac and all other lovely visitors to this blog. I've been lurking here since season 2 and this blog has become an essential part of my Lost experience. Love the GREAT reviews, as always, and the nice atmosphere here. Reading everybody's theories is always interesting (and sometimes mind boggling) and I love the playful way all the regulars communicate with each other. I have never ever seen a blog or forum where people are this gentle to each other, definitely a big "hurray" to everyone contributing to this and to Mac for making this possible. For me, this place feels like "home" and I'm soooo gonna miss it when Lost finishes.

Anyways, that's why I'm writing (I never really get to posting, 'coz when I'm done reading all the comments, the next episode has already aired ;)).

Greeting from the Netherlands.

#24. Posted by: ihearttheweakerthans at April 17, 2010 5:05 PM

I really am touched by some of these comments. It makes me realize just how special this place is. And so much of that is due to you guys. I'm merely the catalyst.

#25. Posted by: mac at April 17, 2010 6:54 PM

I second and third every other comment here. Mac, I'm in awe that in just a few short hours, you can digest, summarize and make sense (usually) of what just happened to us. Then to throw in the pop-culture references, witty comments and the occasional link to a goose egg...

Thank you for your good work. I will watch anything that JJ Abrams has had a hand in. And now, I will watch anything that you blog about.

(As I read this post and these comments, the slow, sad, someone-just-died-or-is-about-to-die piano theme is playing in my head. Anyone else have that going on? It just seems appropriate.)

#26. Posted by: jamers503 at April 18, 2010 2:18 AM

Well, I've been out of town and away from the computer for three days, so obviously, this morning I better go back, read the last episode blog since I left, and see what all the fuss is about. But just for the record, I ALWAYS have a smile on my face when I scream! Let me demonstrate:

AAAAUUU:-)UUUGGG:-)GGGGGHHHHHHHH!:-D

See?

#27. Posted by: davidrh at April 18, 2010 7:27 AM

#27. Posted by: davidrh

I LOVE your scream!! At work, once in awhile, I come across something that makes me cringe and I think...

"AAAAUUU:-)UUUGGG:-)GGGGGHHHHHHHH!" and immediately think, THANK you, davidrh, wherever you are!

#28. Posted by: sandivon at April 18, 2010 11:42 AM

Hi mac, and hello to my old friends. I haven't been a regular poster here in a while, yet I do read the reviews every week. I miss the laughing and the friendliness of everyone on here. I have lots of memories of this blog. It will be sad to say goodbye!!!

Okay, now I have to switch over and read the last review.

Thanks to all the faithful "mif's" who keep my memory alive, and thanks again mac!!!!

#29. Posted by: meg at April 18, 2010 12:46 PM

I really hope we all find something else to commune over once Lost is gone. I consider everyone on here a friend and have been proud to be a part of it. Anyone on Facebook who wants to add me feel free--Christopher F. Plane (get it Chris P.,C. Plane?)

#30. Posted by: Crispy Seaplanes at April 18, 2010 1:38 PM

I have read this blog after every episode but this is my first post...you know something has meant a lot when you notice tears in your eyes from knowing this will end. Mac, thanks! All commenters...thanks-- for you stretched my thoughts on each episode and made me much smarter than my friends who do not read this blog!! You have been a quasi family..I being the quiet child who never speaks. Keep the faith brotha! See you in another life!

#31. Posted by: hisbride at April 18, 2010 4:09 PM

Long time reader, rare poster.

I started watching LOST late and overwhelmed with all the details I googled LOST to get some insight. This wasn't the first blog I found but once I read Mac's review and the intelligent comments and banter I was hooked. I know a few friends that watched at first but stopped after a while so you guys became my friends that I discussed the episodes with(even if you didn't know I was here). Now when people talk LOST theories with me I find myself referencing Cecil, Alais, and others and I'm rarely impressed with their ideas. I find myself smirking like "we discussed that weeks ago in depth". My friends don't even ask why I'm hunched over my phone the next day after lost occasionally breaking out in laughter anymore. I love this blog and I'm gonna miss it maybe even a little more than lost! Oh my God did I just say that....

#32. Posted by: nes at April 18, 2010 7:07 PM

Christopher F. Plane (get it Chris P.,C. Plane?)

aaaaah. Sneeky sharp guy, that Christopher.

(Actually, Cecil found me on the internet without really knowing my name....)

#33. Posted by: davidrh at April 18, 2010 7:30 PM

Mac - Thank you! Thank you for every season, every episode. This takes a lot of time and I truly appreciate the time and dedication that YOU have given to us and you have made this a special journey for all of us. I will miss you and this blog just as much as I will miss Lost.

You are not in debt to us, much rather the opposite. We are very much indebted to YOU for giving this to us.

#34. Posted by: dragonfly4373 at April 18, 2010 8:05 PM

Well said mon capitain!

Like many of the fine folk here, I've very much enjoyed this blog. I can honestly say that I've never been so hoodwinked by a televised series before.

Never before have I ever watched an episode on average 2-3 times per week, as well as who knows how many hours reading up on it through the internet. I almost feel like mocking myself!

It's been a fun ride here over the years - let's finish it with dignity and respect. Let us all reach out to our inner Hurley, and do what is right. Thank you so much for everything Mac!

Namaste!

#35. Posted by: shikotee at April 19, 2010 12:36 AM

Thanks for everything Mac. It'll all be over soon and then we can sit back and go..... "Hey, what about the time......"

It's been a wild ride watching a TV show that has held our attention so long. And a great blog to help us express out thoughts, ideas, hang-ups, etc. re: the show.

Namesta.

#36. Posted by: dk at April 19, 2010 9:24 AM

How do you shed a tear with the text-a-con things? :@

I too will miss you all, the theories, the humor, the wit.

You have all been such a part of my life for years.

I hope the old (not in age i mean) regular posters come back for the final stretch. I miss their intriguing minds.

#37. Posted by: tweedle_dee at April 19, 2010 12:53 PM

It's just a frickin' TV show people = lighten up!

#38. Posted by: Mr. Squishy at April 19, 2010 2:08 PM

Hey all,

Sorry to say I just got into this blog about 3 weeks ago. I know, I'm always late to the good parties! But anyway, I REALLY have noticed the friendliness, intelligence, and humor from not only Mac but all of the posters. I'll keep coming here right up till the end. Keep up the great work everybody.

#39. Posted by: Redlock at April 19, 2010 2:21 PM

Christopher F. Plane (get it Chris P.,C. Plane?)
#30. Posted by: Crispy Seaplanes

I am soooooooo glad to have at least ONE answer before the end of LOST!

#40. Posted by: lovelost at April 19, 2010 4:32 PM

Mac Slocum, the Head Dude here.
Mark Dufresne (The Duf all these years).
Christopher F. Plane (get it Chris P.,C. Plane?)
We all know Cecil Rose, never a secret.
And since I don’t fear stalkers,
Davidrh: www.davidrholsinger.com
and
the list goes on . . .

Afterall, we need the names for the invitations
to the MUD HOLE GROUP WAGGLE!

#41. Posted by: davidrh at April 19, 2010 8:14 PM

See Darlton? That's how you answer the burning questions!! Just lay it out there!
Can't wait for the Waggle! Yee Haw!!!

#42. Posted by: Crispy Seaplanes at April 19, 2010 9:19 PM

Thanks for the blog Mac! I came across it last season. I had moved to Canada from my mysterious home country (hey, some things have to remain a mystery, right?) and so was able to actually watch the Lost episodes the day they are broadcast instead of weeks or months later, so I started looking for a place with reviews and discussions. Your blog is definitely a very friendly and welcoming place. The variety of the posters, their differences in style and the different aspects of the show they pay attention to all help to make this a great place.

#43. Posted by: Plain Simple at April 20, 2010 1:48 AM

I too (sniff, sniff) shall miss reading all the wonderfully entertaining posts and theories this blog has to offer. It is the one and only blog I ever read. Over the past year I haven't posted as much due to time contraints, and also because someone inevitably already posted what I was thinking and I didn't want to "aaaaauuuugggghhhh" anyone.

Thank you all for putting up with my "hare-brained" ideas, jokes, and general sillyness. Wherever shall I find such a wonderful group of people and a show that incorporates my love for bunnies? Oh, I feel so 'lost' now...

There is one small secret I will share with you all now that the end (sniff, sniff) is (sniff, sniff) approaching. My real last name is LOCKE. Yes, spelled the same and everything. I was too scared to use a "Locke" handle, cause I thought someone at work may notice.

So there - it's out! I feel much better now. Thank you all everybody for everything.

(Still too scared to post my first name.)

Work sux...

Hoppy trails everyone - until we meet again.

#44. Posted by: BunnyLover at April 20, 2010 12:10 PM

Thank You! I will miss the blog almost as much as Lost itself. You have enhanced the experience so much and given me (and my friends) great enjoyment.

I may pick my next tv addiction based on whatever you chose to blog about!

#45. Posted by: Pod at April 20, 2010 3:03 PM

Thanks to you, Mac! I hope you realize how many people you've touched with your intelligent, witty, perceptive comments about Lost. First thing every morning after a Lost episode, I go to your blog and read the comments on the episode. It's something I look forward to. Sometimes I stay up late to read after you post at 11:59 at night (How DO you do that???)

Here's my point. I've only added a comment once or twice. I think you've entertained and influenced lots of people who aren't active participants in the blog. You've heightened our enjoyment of LOST. There have been times I've even cut and pasted your comments and gave a copy to others to read and help them understand what they saw or missed.

There's been a wonderful synergy between watching the episode, reading your blog, watching the annotated version of the show (when available). Usually before the next episode, I go back and read your blog again to refresh myself on all the details of the last episode.

I want to thank you for taking the time and trouble of doing this and for doing it so very well! Lost has been an incredible ride and you have been our tour guide!!

Jane

#46. Posted by: Jane at April 20, 2010 3:07 PM

I just started reading your blog this season..wish I would have known about it before. Very very thought provoking. Lost is like reading a good novel & you just don't want it to end because you are so invested in the characters. Thanks for your great recapping & insight.

#47. Posted by: Jeannie at April 20, 2010 11:57 PM

I, too, will miss this blog more than the actual show -- the reviews are just so witty, and direct, and just all-around great. I'm usually laughing out loud while reading. And the comments from all are always very informative, funny, or just plain interesting. Such a great site. We need to find out what Mac will be working on next and follow him there. No matter what it will be, I'm sure it will be great, too.

#48. Posted by: erin at April 21, 2010 12:05 AM

I haven't been posting as much as I was in the very beginning, but I'm still reading every review and constantly loving them. Thank you so much for this blog, Mac! I think I love the show even more because of it. :)
Slightly off-topic but not really: Will there still be a Mac's Lost Blog Fantast Football League this year, once the show's done? It won't be the same, but it'll still be fun. (Hey, that rhymed!)

#49. Posted by: Trinity at April 28, 2010 8:33 AM

thanks for posting this Mac.

I’ve been a long time reader but only made a few comments starting this season. after i made a comment on a detail i was a little hazy on, since it was so many seasons ago, which was not accurate, I received a really snotty comment from someone. i haven't posted since and honestly i haven't been reading as much or as excited to read....it used to be the very first thing I would do after a new epi aired. I hope people really take this to heart and think about what they are saying to each other. a couple bad seeds can ruin the experience for everyone.

but now after you posted this I’m back on track with ya'll!

#50. Posted by: Ames at April 29, 2010 12:55 PM

@Ames: Happy to have you back!

#51. Posted by: mac at April 29, 2010 12:59 PM

Wow - I just stumbled upon this thread out of no where, and I am glad I did. I too felt that this place was straying from the friendly, embracing, witty, and thought provoking place it has been since season 1 (when I was convinced the show was a modern _Lord of the Flies_ - see, we all have theories that haven't panned out - and that includes most of mine...) so I took a step back as well but never stopped reading week to week, but I never abandoned ya, Mac!

This blog made Lost all the more enjoyable to watch and has stretched my brain as far as it could possibly go from time to time as well. I am glad to see so many of the old regulars posting here and coming back for the final season.

i too will have to find a new TV obsession and am hoping that Mac's blog will lead me in that direction next season....

WGNABB, people!

:) Vikki

#52. Posted by: Vikki at May 5, 2010 5:38 AM

Wow - I just stumbled upon this thread out of no where, and I am glad I did. I too felt that things were straying from the friendly, embracing, witty, and thought provoking place it has been since season 1 (when I was convinced the show was a modern _Lord of the Flies_ - see, we all have theories that haven't panned out - and that includes most of mine...) so I took a step back as well but never stopped reading week to week, and I never abandoned ya, Mac!

WGNABB, people!

:) Vikki

#53. Posted by: Vikki at May 5, 2010 5:39 AM

Sorry for the double post there....that's a newbie mistake!

#54. Posted by: Vikki at May 5, 2010 5:40 AM

Same as Ames, I've been reading religiously since season 2 but rarely have the chance to post (I read on the train from my phone).
I think Mac' reviews are the BEST but I also had great respect of the comments ... a respect that started to fade away with some nasty people being rude.
I'm glad you posted this as we are approaching the end. I will start reading comments again.

#55. Posted by: phg at May 6, 2010 6:28 AM

OK. Let the discussion begin.

I guess most folks are familiar with Facebook.

Facebook Features

A group has it's on page, accessible to members of the group. You can share by going there and posting on the wall or reading what others have posted. They also have discussion threads. You can post pictures. I *think* only admins can broadcast email messages to the groups (I'm less familiar with that, and have never administered a group).

Yahoos Group features:

You can participate in two ways - by sending email to the group (which will in turn be re-sent to all the members of the group, or by logging in to the Yahoo Group page and reading all present (and former) messages there. You can send a message from the group page as well. You can load photos to the group page, files, databases even, and links you want to share (a link to your homepage, perhaps). It the group email volume is too heavy you can request digest mode (messages are batched and sent to you in one larger email), or even turn off email and read only on the group page.

Comparisons:

Both require you to sign up for an individual membership to participate. Facebook insists you use your real name, but you can choose how much information to share on your facebook page, and just because you participate in a facebook group deoesn't (I think) automatically make you friends with members of the group. I think there are age restrictions in Facebook. As far as I know, ILBLXX is our youngest member and she's in college now so probably not an issue.

It may be a little easier to perserve your anonymity on Yahoo if that's an issue, since mostly people will only see whatever you put in your email, under whatever Yahoo ID you choose, although they may be able with a little trouble to find out your name from your Yahoo profile.

Facebook insists you sign up with your real name so that, and whatever picture or avatar you might choose to upload will be associated with all your posts. They peobably have age restrictions, as well, but I think it's around 12 and so, as far as I know, not an issue with us.

I, myself, have a slight preferencce for Yahoo, is only because I don't have to use these teeny boxes with no spel chekur to enter information, and can set the font size any where i want it in email and spell check my messages.

On the other hand the avatar/picture thing with the posts in facebooks is nice and instant links to facebook pages, etc, so there's pluses eitherway. Though it might take us a while to realize that Christopher F. Plane is CrispySeaplanes, for instance, to take one peron who's gone publuic recently.

I'm willing to set up either, or open to suggestions to any other possibilities.

Also, we need to think about a name for the group.

Here's some possibilites:

o mac's Lost Bloggers
o friends of mac
o Lost Forever
o A Small Circle of Friends

(We'll need mac's permission to use his name, of course)

Suggestions?

#56. Posted by: Cecil Rose at May 8, 2010 10:33 AM

Hey Cecil, thanks for looking into this. I like the privacy protection in Yahoo groups, but I think Facebook is the easiest for everybody (damn their monopoly!). In Facebook you can limit people's access, as you said. I do that for my high school student "friends."
You can find me in Facebook under Randi Cox ;) and no, that's not a stage name. As you said, Facebook forces you to use your real name.
Wow, I must be a real old timer since I can't believe ilovebenjaminlinusxx is in college. They grow up so fast!

#57. Posted by: En Provence at May 8, 2010 12:40 PM

Yahoo is pretty easy to join, you just fill out a short form, then send email to a particular address to join the group,and after that you don't have to do anything - email from the group just starts showing up in your email inbox. you don't have to go and look to see if anyything's been posted lately.

A Facebook group page will NOT notify you of new postings (unlike the emails we get that 'someone has posted on your wall' or 'someone sent you a friend' invitation; in your individual facebook site.

Both solutions, of course, put all the postings from our Lost friends in one place, and you don't have to find them among a jillion other facebook stuff.

#58. Posted by: Cecil at May 8, 2010 2:12 PM

I'm up for either way. I'm probably a little more used to Facebook but either way would be fine. I'm just glad we'll be able to keep in touch any way that we can. we've all gotten to know each other a bit over the years and it will be nice for that to continue.
And thanks to everyone from my Lost online family who have already friended me on the Facebook. Namaste!

#59. Posted by: Crispy Seaplanes at May 8, 2010 8:24 PM

Thanks for taking the lead on this Cecil. I'm agreeable to either for myself just as long as we are able to keep in touch.

As for a name...how about Mac's Flocke??? :)

#60. Posted by: surefoot at May 10, 2010 9:40 AM

"Mac's Flocke" -- okay, so that's awesome.

#61. Posted by: mac at May 10, 2010 9:42 AM

I'm agreeable for either, but will admit be more familiar with Facebook. Feel free to "friend" me under Sue Harmon (Atlanta, GA).

#62. Posted by: srharmon at May 10, 2010 11:21 AM

Wow! After reading all these comments I am reminded of how I felt the last few weeks of my senior year in high school (many moons ago). Suddenly, everyone loves each other, everything becomes the "last time I'll..." and you realize how much everyone has meant to you and how much you will miss them. I have been reading this since season 1 when my sister showed me the blogsite. I have only had a few comments over the years and I must admit that I felt giddy whenever anyone noticed and commented back. I felt like one of the smart kids! :) I usually try to watch Lost just for enjoyment, without trying to solve the questions or come up with a theory, but once I start reading everyone's ideas I just get sucked in. This has been the most fun and I will really miss is. Thanks, Mac, for being our fearless leader and for always making me laugh out loud at work, or worse, alone in my house so that I feel crazy. And thanks to all the regular posters who make me actually think. Now, let's all get ready for the end and remember, Whatever happens, happens. :)

#63. Posted by: Amyr at May 11, 2010 10:55 PM

Great idea Cecil! =]

#64. Posted by: ilovebenjaminlinusxx at May 12, 2010 1:42 AM

I'm more familiar w/facebook, also, but I kind of like the anonymity with Yahoo, though. And I really like the name: "Mac's Flocke".... very cool!

#65. Posted by: bridge at May 12, 2010 1:43 AM

Actually, it was En Provence that raised the idea during last week's discussion on "The Candidate". I just sort of volunteered to set a place up if that's what folks wanted.

You know, another possibility is to ask mac to set up a set of blogs sort of like the "Random" topics blogs, but there wouldn't be any control over who participated (possible spam) and it lacks the friendly pics/icons of Facebook, and the 'push' capabilities of Yahoo.

#66. Posted by: Cecil at May 12, 2010 2:09 AM

After this wonderful show is over, and without all you guys, I'll still be LOST so if you open a group on Facebook, count me in!

#67. Posted by: DebE at May 12, 2010 5:21 AM

I want in....
LONG time reader and follower of Mac's reviews, and used to be a poster/commenter.

@ MAC- How great was the picture of my Lost Bachelorette Cake? ;)

#68. Posted by: Sillygirl0630 at May 12, 2010 9:17 AM

@ Sillygirl0630: Greatest ... cake ... ever.

#69. Posted by: mac at May 12, 2010 9:21 AM

And where can the rest of us see this cake?

So, two shows to go - how about some more posting?

#70. Posted by: Cecil at May 12, 2010 9:43 AM

First-time poster, extremely long time reader and am very thankful to you Mac for your reviews. I don't know how you do it but, you manage to wrap up every LOST epi into something smart, funny, and insightful. Yours is the only blog I read and am very thankful to everyone on this blog for your comments which help me figure out what the heck is goin on...on LOST. I will miss our little community so much once LOST comes to an end.

#71. Posted by: Jenny at May 13, 2010 10:16 AM

Well, Jenny, we're just discussing in this forum a way to keep the community of friends together even after Lost ends. Join in. Read the posts above starting at #56 and then tell us what you think.

#72. Posted by: Cecil Rose at May 13, 2010 10:21 AM

BTW, I love the name "Mac's Flocke", great idea Cecil!

#73. Posted by: Jenny at May 13, 2010 10:22 AM

Hi everyone -- I went ahead and created a Facebook group. Feel free to use it, not use it, or create a different one if you're so inclined. You can find it and join here:

#74. Posted by: mac at May 13, 2010 10:44 AM

@70
Hey Cecil, and the crew...

I'm going on Safari to Zambia with J (aka "Bunny")on our honeymoon, and my girls made me this awesome cake. (we are all mildly Lost obsessed)

Enjoy, and see you all on FB

#75. Posted by: Sillygirl0630 at May 14, 2010 7:00 AM

The Island Bunnies look like pink Peeps.

Have fun on the honeymoon. (How could you not?)

#76. Posted by: Cecil at May 14, 2010 11:16 AM